So far, the Mac is showing some resistance to antivirus software, but how long is it? Advanced users of Apple devices are already wary of the security of the built-in protection and are diligently searching for the best virus protection for Mac.
Why do you need to look for antivirus for Mac?
Even though Apple is known for its strict attitude toward software, the Federal Office of Information Security (BSI) was convinced of its imperfection. Moreover, in 2017, extortionists proved that they were able to circumvent Mac’s vigilant defense. Mac malware increased last year, according to the AV test.
Therefore, the developers of well-known anti-virus solutions decided to improve their products to protect your device from the threats of 2019.
Top 10 Antivirus Software for Mac
So, pay attention to the selection of the most reliable programs for protecting Apple systems
- Bitdefender. This product provides more secure surfing, online banking, and shopping on multiple devices. You can protect up to 5 devices from viruses and ransomware.
- Trend Micro Antivirus. This antivirus successfully detects viruses on Mac and Windows, as well as unwanted adware or adware. A browser extension for greater privacy is also offered.
- Vipre antivirus. Vipre antivirus software from Florida allows you to specify the scan time using the default software settings. And this, together with high performance and excellent functionality.
- Kaspersky Internet Security. Kasperksy Internet Security is a popular and sophisticated solution, has shown top-notch malware detection performance for Mac and Windows. The tool tracks additional vulnerabilities, such as a webcam and browser, and a password manager is also available.
- Norton Internet Security. For decades, Norton Antivirus has been available as a Mac version, so antivirus detects viruses very well. The advantages include a low system load, operational efficiency and excellent functionality, including a firewall.
- AVG. AVG Anti-Virus is free but provides good performance in detecting malware. Unfortunately, the scanner slows down the computer a little.
- Avast. Free Avast does a good job of its function but loses much in front of unknown viruses. Paid VPN service is included in the standard package, but you can cancel it during installation.
- Avira. Avira has an excellent reputation on the Windows platform, and the Mac version is also quite popular. Like Avast, you can use the antivirus scanner for free, but the phantom of the VPN service included in it is limited – only 500 MB of data is available without a monthly subscription.
- F-secure. Until this year, F-Secure software adhered to a slightly different security concept than other test participants: file scans were performed only for malware and Mac adware. However, it does not keep pace with the detection of PUA malware.
- Intego Internet Security. This software demonstrates excellent Mac malware detection results are excellent, but adware detection is less successful. Thus, the Mac is relatively well protected.
To Sum Up
Despite the low risk, the assortment of Mac virus scanners is large because there is a demand for them. After all, even the strong protection of Apple devices shows: nothing is perfect and 100% safe. Therefore, almost all known viruses and malware scanners for PCs are available for macOS. This year, free tools from Avira, AVG, and Avast compete with paid antivirus scanners from Vipre, Kaspersky, Bitdefender, Norton, Trend Micro, F-Secure, and Intego. Mac virus detection data comes from the AV-Test Institute, which took measurements in mid-2019 and under macOS Mojave.